Malaseb is registered to treat Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Dermatophytosis. Seborrhoeic Dermatitis is the scientific name for a skin infection involving bacteria (Staphylococcus) and yeast (Malassezia). Dermatophytosis is the scientific name for ringworm, a condition which is not due to worms (like the name suggests) but is in fact a fungal infection.
It is normal in dogs to have low numbers of resident bacteria and yeasts on the skins surface. When there is a disruption to the skin’s natural ecosystem these bacteria and yeasts can overgrow causing disease.
Reasons for disruption to the natural balance
- Allergy, including to pollens, grasses, foods (meats) and fleas.
- Parasites, such as fleas, mites and lice.
- Hormonal problems
- Conformational problems such as deep skin folds, making sweaty crevices.
How does Malaseb help?
- Kills the micro-organisms, helping to keep the numbers of yeasts and bacteria at manageable levels.
- Removes excess scale and oils, commonly produced when the skin is infected
- Removes allergens such as pollens which can be caught in fur or on skin causing irritation